St. Pauli Piers – Interesting Facts, Hamburg, Germany 4k UHD

St. Pauli Piers – Interesting Facts, Hamburg, Germany 4k UHD


The St. Pauli Piers are the largest landing
place in the Port of Hamburg, Germany, and also one of Hamburg’s major tourist attractions. Other English language translations include
St. Pauli Landing Stages or St. Pauli Landing Bridges. The piers are located in the St. Pauli area
of Hamburg, between the lower harbour and the Fischmarkt (Fish Market), on the banks
of the Elbe river. The Landungsbrücken today form a central
transportation hub, with S-Bahn, U-Bahn and ferry stations, and are also a major tourist
magnet with numerous restaurants and departure points for harbour pleasure boats. There is an entrance to the Old Elbe tunnel
at the western end of the Landungsbrücken. Halfway up the tower, there is a water level
indicator built into the wall, which indicates the current stage of the tides. The first pier here was built in 1839 at what
was then the edge of the harbour. It served as a terminal for steamships, which
could be relatively easily filled with coal here. The pier ensured a sufficient security distance
from the city, since these ships were fueled by coal which presented a fire risk. The current piers built in 1907 consist of
floating pontoons, which are accessible from land by ten movable bridges. The 688 metres (2,257 ft) long landing place
originally served the passenger steamers of the overseas lines. Among others, the great Hapag-Lloyd liners
landed here. Today only the HADAG ferries, harbour tour
ships and motor launches, passenger ships serving the lower Elbe, and catamarans to
Stade and Helgoland still travel to the piers. Ships travel from here daily to the musical
island of the concert, “The Lion King”. One of Hamburg’s oldest and largest sewerage
systems is near the Landungsbrücken. It is part of the “Stadtwasserkunst” designed
by William Lindley in 1842. The Geest-Stammsiel collects sewage from far
parts of the city before it is transported under the Elbe to the main purification plant
Köhlbrandhöft on the opposite side of the Elbe, by means of a pumping station about
100 m upstream of the old Elbe tunnel. The sluice can be travelled by boat. For the rowing trips of Kaiser Willhelm II,
a separate underground dock was constructed, viewable by appointment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *